First off, probably going to get into some mature subject matter, so be prepared!
I just recently found out about a new manga called D.Y.N. Freaks. It just started back middle of last year I believe, but it’s not only by the author of Demonbane, it features the big “D” himself, after a fashion!
For those not familiar, Demonbane is basically a Super Robot VN(Visual Novel) borrowing heavily from HP Lovecraft. Put simply, the protagonist works with a living embodiment of the Necronomicon to take half of the powers of the Lovecraft universe and use them as weapons in a giant robot against the other half in the middle of Arkham. The original “game”(as VNs are basically choose-your-own-adventure novels in the form of a PC program) was also an adult game, with plot-related sex scenes, which honestly are mostly played for humor than anything else. They put out a all-ages-friendly version of it too, as well as a semi-sequel, but only the adult version was ever translated to English. They also made an anime version, but it cut out half the plot and some major characters, so it ends up rather disjointed if you aren’t already familiar with the story from the VN.
This manga appears set in one of the Demonbane universes(and I can’t really explain that without spoilers), but in Y City. It involves some artifacts of the various Elder Gods and Outer Beings that have infected people, making them into “mages” who can access that power, or get used by it. From the four chapters translated so far, the D is for Demonbane, the Y is for a mage who has the pwoers of Yog Sottoth, and the N is for the third main character, who dons the mask of Nyarlathotep. He puts out a sort of Kamen Rider vibe, especially considering he has the Hunting Horror, a souped-up magical bike that was only in one of the Demonbane story paths.
Either way, more Demonbane action gets me very hype. Now I just have to wait for more to get scanlated.
The second point I wanted to cover was the double-D or why the heck everyone seems to love oversized breasts. (I said it might cover some mature stuff!) It’s not that I don’t find breasts attractive, but they have to match the body they’re on!
I guess it comes down to proportions. For smaller girls, a smaller bust is just fine. If you’re a twig, you shouldn’t have balloon breasts the size of your head! On the other hand, if you’ve got some meat on your bones, bring on the C and D cups! Maybe DD too, but after that you start hitting the “too much of a good thing” level, unless you’re getting further into fantasy races. (Then again, there are some who say anything more than a nice handful is a waste – but then how big are your hands?)
There’s also anthromorphization of existing characters where it can get distasteful real fast too. I was poking around Second Life and came across some MLP furry avatars where someone had made them all very well-endowed. In my opinion, a lot of those didn’t really fit for what I would envision, if you were trying to stay true to the character. But instead, you end up with the “if it’s female, must attach huge bazongas!” approach.
Taurs have the body-mass to balance a larger bustline visually though, I have to admit. As for dragonesses – if they’re anthro, my above guidelines stay. If you’re dealing with a standard quad(“feral”) dragon, then no. Just, no.
I’m not sure if I really made a point there but I wanted to get it off my chest. (*snrk*)
I also managed to get in touch with some of the other old-time folks from the Isle of Wyrms in SL, and Limbo actually did used to be Lyre. The original Cathedral and Limbo sims had to go because of tier prices, so Daryth converted Hedgetopia to a new Cathedral sim, and Lyre became Limbo. The first move was already done, but Limbo is still waiting for a rebuild to turn it back into itself. Gertie and a few of the hatchies also bought one of the other sims, to “keep it in the family.”
I then went through to see what still existed of my old landmarks, and ended up deleteing at least half of them. There were a few of those places that I was sad to see go:
- Lost Furest is completely gone. Cheetah took a slightly longer break than I did, and it closed down in the meantime, but she plans to get another sim eventually, someday.
- I took a longer look at Furnation. They had to do the same as IoW, and the current Prime sim isn’t the original Prime sim. The two sandbox sims are gone, leaving a single sandbox crammed back into Prime’s space. All the rest has gone to either residential, or a (admittedly very pretty) natural park area. There’s still a few landmarks there though I recognize, such as the Luxor pyramid, the not-a-sphinx, and Club Fur. Heck, I have a screenshot from early 2006 of me entering Club Fur!
- The Sci-Fi museum at Indigo is sadly no more. They had some awesome displays, including a to-scale model of a Klingon Bird of Prey you could walk around in.
- Arador is completely gone. It was one of the few non-RP places that dragons congregated at that I knew of.
- Not really a sim per se, but Reverie Animations is completely gone now from SL. They had some great animations at decent prices, but there’s no more stores of theirs in SL anymore, anywhere.
- Also in that vein, the stores for Aventity Avatars, whose fox provided the ears for my avatar, seem to have disappeared. Where the main store used to sit is now part of Furnation’s natural park area.
After that, I did do a little exploring using the search function, to try and find someplace else to hang out at. I didn’t have much luck with that, but I found a few things:
- Midgar is still Midgar i.e. FF7 RP bonanza. It was packed on the map, but I wasn’t looking for RP, so I didn’t stop by. They’ve been going however since 2006.
- The awesome life-size mecha statues are still in the Akira sim, though they’ve been cut back a lot. Now it’s just Daitarn 3 and the rusted Dougram, with no sign of Grendizer or the other two that had been there.
- The Monster’s Garage store with all the Ultraman-related avatars is still there, but no new avatars still from when I was there last over 2 years ago.
- The maker of my Sidetrack transforming Micromaster avatar is still around and has added a ton of new Micromaster avatars(and some Minicons too). If I wasn’t watching my spending, I could probably blow a lot there easily.
- Grendel’s is still around, but with fewer sims again
- Sylver’s Kinzart Kreetures store is still kicking, and a lot bigger than it used to be.
- The Dr Who-related sim, the Three Minute City, is still around also. Didn’t stop by there this time however as I haven’t been keeping up with New Who.
- I also found a great mecha-based sim with it’s own combat system and a lot of designs derived from Battletech(but not all). They even have a free Kit Fox/Uller av to start you off!(And a Hatchetman too.)
- The only two non-RP, non-store places that mentioned Dragons other than as a generic place were Ryu Valley, which apparently still has its awesome Macro room, and The Scaly Spot, which from the description was a sex/dance club for scalies and scalie lovers. The former was fairly empty(and I didn’t see a way to the Macro room, though I didn’t look too hard because of that) and the only ones I saw at the latter club were “escorts.”
That sort of leads to another pet peeve of mine, or at least it reminded me it existed: why are most gathering places some combination of sex club, dance club, or RP? There’s not a lot of places where you can just chill and chat about random things, it just seems like. It seems like a lot of furry places especially end up as combination sex/dance clubs – at least the ones with any sort of population(barring Luskwood, which has been around forever). Maybe I’m just getting too old for this, but where are all the sane, not-constantly-horny, intelligent folks at?
And where did all the dragons go?