As promised, here is a writeup of a Transformer-like race for use in Pathfinder! I borrowed a bit from the IDW background, but otherwise tried to make it fit in a Pathfinder-style universe naturally. For reference, this was designed around 20 Racial Points(excluding the alternate mode trait) when referring to the Advanced Racial Guide, and the costs of each trait are noted below. This means that it’s built for higher power campaigns, but not to the level of pure cheese ideally.
Cybertronians are a race of mechanical outsiders that originated when a portion of Mechanus was merged with a portion of the Prime Material Plane. While it is known what happened, the cause has been lost to the mists of time – whether it be a mage’s experiment, or the aftereffect of a clash between deities.
Physically, they appear much like metal men in armor. Each Cybertronian is different however, whether it be in color, or the design of their limbs and body. Some even do not appear to have a normal mouth or face, although in such cases they are still able to speak normally though other components inside their heads.
New Cybertronians are actually born from the ground of their homeland itself. Every so many hundred years, a portion of the landscape will light up with new sparks, which are then harvested and placed into generic bodies that they have nicknamed protoforms. The body will then mold to the unique characteristics of each spark, resulting in a fully formed and cognizant adult Cybertronian.
Currently they are governed by a Senate in name, but the Senate in turn unofficially answers to a faction calling themselves the Functionists. The Functionists argue for a return to the strict caste-based society styled after Mechanus, where every Cybertronian has their place and can never change it, barring exceptional circumstances. There are rumors of a gladiator and former miner beginning to gather an army to oppose them, but others have left for distant lands to escape the Functionists’ oppression.
Basic Racial Traits
– Ability Score Racial Traits: Cybertronians are strong and hardy, due to their mechanical nature, but this also inhibits their ability to relate to a degree. As a result, they gain +2 to Strength and Constitution, but a -2 to Charisma (1 RP)
– Size: Cybertronians are medium creatures by default, granting them no bonuses or penalties.
– Base Speed: Cybertronians have a base speed of 30 feet.
– Languages: Cybertronians begin play speaking Common and Neocybex. Additional possible languages are: Draconic, Elven, Dwarven, Orc, Undercommon, Infernal, Celestial
– Senses: Cybertronians have Darkvision out to 60′. (3 RP)
Other Racial Abilities
– Constructed: For the purposes of effects targeting creatures by type (such as a ranger’s favored enemy and bane weapons), Cybertronians count as both Outsider(native) and constructs. Cybertronians gain a +4 racial bonus on all saving throws against mind-affecting effects, paralysis, poison, and stun effects, are not subject to fatigue or exhaustion, and are immune to disease and sleep effects. (2 RP)
– Metal body: Cybertronian bodies are made of a strange alloy that no smith has yet been able to replicate. Due to this. they gain Damage Reduction 5/magic, as well as Resistance 5 against cold, fire, and acid. However, the nature of their construction also causes Vulnerability to electric attacks. (5 RP)
– Spark: Unlike other construct-like creatures, Cybertronians have a soul, but it is not quite the same as that of most biological beings. This grants them 5 resistance vs negative energy and a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against death effects, energy drain, negative energy, and spells or spell-like abilities of the necromancy school. They also do not lose HP with negative levels gained. (3 RP)
– Arcane Adaptation: Due to their origins in a magical experiment, Cybertronians are sometimes able to shrug off magical effects that would otherwise harm them. They naturally have a spell resistance of 6 + character level. (2 RP)
– Natural Weaponry: Cybertronians are able to tranform their hand and forearm into a powerful weapon as a free action. This allows them the use of “Scorching Ray” as an at-will ability based on their character level. (4 RP)
– Alternate Mode: All Cybertronians have an alternate form they can take. It takes a standard action to change between forms. At creation, choose one of the following options:
- Vehicle: You take the form of a mechanical vehicle of some fashion. You gain either 120′ ground move, 90′ flight(average), or 120′ swim, chosen at creation, but are unable to attack or manipulate objects. You may carry one passenger of Small size or smaller.
- Animal: You take on the form of an animal. Treat this as Beast Shape I, except that the choices are made at creation and cannot be changed. Also, all traits of this race are kept in this form except for the Natural Weaponry trait.
– Mode Rescan: On leveling, a Cybertronian may replace their alternate mode with a different one. However, this requires much focus and strain on the body, and takes a week’s time to complete. During this time the Cybertronian will be unconcious and cannot be woken while their body reconfigures itself to its new form.
Additional Alternate Mode: Prereq: Cybertronian, BAB +10 – Gain an additional alternate mode.
Combat Vehicle: Prereq: Cybertronian, Vehicle alternate mode, BAB +5 – You may now use the Natural Weaponry racial trait while in your alternate mode.
Stasis Lock – Once per day, when you are dying you may automatically stabilize by entering Stasis Lock.
Beast Skin: Prereq: Animal alt mode – When transformed, you only count as the racial type of your alt mode. e.g. if you have a leopard alt mode you count as a Beast in alternate mode, and no longer count as outsider or construct for the purposes of spells and abilities such as Bane.
Giant Robot: Increase size to Large, with all benefits and penalties. Note that while this is closer to the actual Cybertronian concept, it carries with it drawbacks due to living in a Medium-sized world. It is considered more powerful as well due to the combat benefits it provides.
Pretender: Add an additional alternate mode that must be a standard humanoid. While in this mode, you lose the Natural Weaponry and Metal Body racials, and you can only access robot mode from this mode. Similarly, you can only enter this mode from robot mode.
Fuzors: Combine traits from two animals into a single alternate mode. Gain all applicable movement speeds, taking the best of each type. Repeat for natural attacks. Note that you must be able to come up with a valid way to combine these, such as combining a wolf and an eagle to get a griffon-like wolf. The end result must be medium-sized(or large-sized if using the Giant Robot variant above).
Minicons: If a Cybertronian gains a familiar, treat it like the Tumor Familiar discovery for Alchemists. Note that this does not apply to beast companions, which must still follow all standard rules for such. The Familiar also receives the Constructed and Metal Body racial abilities as above.